Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Meatball Subs

Our freezer is offically bare. This was the last of the meat, 2 pounds of ground beef turned into meatballs for meatball subs:


I didn't feel like frying the meatballs so I baked them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. The sauce was simply tomatoes, onion and garlic seasoned with a little red pepper flake and oregano. The meatballs were made by mixing the beef with onions, garlic, parsley, an egg, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and grated cheese. I could have used another egg to make them a little softer. I usually make my meatballs with meatloaf mix (beef, pork and veal) so these seemed a little lacking, but overall they were pretty good.

I filled the rolls with some sauce, sliced meatballs and topped with more sauce and some mozzarella cheese. Yum!
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. What a great choice to make with the rest of the meat! I sure need to go through my freezer and utilize all that is there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! that's awesome. I was going to make these next week cause I was like, damn, it's been a while. yum indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks totally scrumptious! And thanks for kicking it up a notch. Now, Mr. Snooty thinks I should do this for him all the time, lol.

    I have finally decided that meatballs and the like are better baked. Same with ric. Just more tender, I suppose.

    Nice post. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your blog and home cooking is something we should all practice more...greetings from Croatia

    ReplyDelete
  5. RecipeGirl - Thanks! I was pretty happy with how these turned out. We try to clean out the freezer before we buy anything new, but unfortunately that means now the freezer is bare!

    Melissa - Hehe. Great minds. :)

    Snooty - Ha! I know, SP is quite spoiled now.

    Sandra - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!