Friday, May 23, 2008

Chicago Trip - Keefer's

Whenever we go to Chicago we have to eat steak at least once. My grandparents are regulars at Keefer's so that's where we went on Saturday night. We always have a great time and the food is excellent. I'm sorry for the horrible photos. I didn't bring my camera so I had to use SP's cell phone camera. Not the best quality, but I couldn't let the gorgeous food go unphotographed.

They had a shrimp and avocado special appetizer:


... which was out-of-this-world good. It was half an avocado (which you all know I love), stuffed with shrimp salad and topped with a piece of lobster. The whole thing was dressed with a citrus vinaigrette. Watercress, slices of grapefruit and tomato finished the plate. I would have licked the plate clean if that was socially acceptable.

SP got another special, a gumbo:


... that was spicy and very flavorful. My grandparents also split the avocado and seafood appetizer, as well as a large salad.

I ordered the New York strip, very rare:


It was perfectly cooked, with excellent seasoning. I almost wished I hadn't had the appetizer so I could have eaten more steak, but the avocado and shrimp were just too tasty.

SP got filet mignon served with Dianne sauce (brandy and mushrooms):


We also shared an order of creamed spinach:


... and au gratin potatoes:


Everything was fantastic. I wish we had a restaurant this good in our area. It would definitely be our go-to place for every special occasion.
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure the steak was great, but I feel you on that appetizer. Wow. And the creamed spinach? I want to dive into that bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost forgot. You say you wish you had a good restaurant like this in your area. I don't know exactly how extensive your "area" is, but you may want to check out yelp.com and hunt down some well reviewed places. It's become my first stop online when hunting for good new food in my vicinity. I do write reviews there as well, though my profile wouldn't mean much to you since you don't live here. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa - Everything was delicious. I think the appetizer was well worth it, but that steak...oh, the steak. So good!

    And I'll definitely check out yelp.com. I've never heard of it, so thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!