Monday, February 18, 2008

Macaroni & Cheese

I love shopping at Wegman's. It's an amazing store and while we never make a trip there without spending more than we'd planned to, we always find something fun. In case you hadn't noticed by now, we love cheese. They were doing cheese tastings this weekend so we stopped to try what was on offer. I'm not usually a fan of Gruyere, but I tried a piece and it was amazing - nutty tasting, with a good bite to it, but without that stinkiness that turns me off from most cheeses in the Swiss family. We bought a small tub of the grated cheese to add to last night's mac & cheese dinner:


... that I served with crusty bread (also bought at Wegman's) and a salad:


... made with arugula and baby spinach tossed with salt, pepper and grated Pecorino. I had mine with red wine vinegar and oil. For the mac & cheese I made my usual recipe, but instead of just cheddar I added the Gruyere, as well 6 slices of bacon cooked in the oven until they were just crispy:


I also made my own bread crumbs using 2 slices of white bread pulsed in the food processor. They toasted up beautifully in the oven.
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I like this idea. I think I may try it too. Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, SERIOUSLY, this macaroni and cheese looks so good it'a absolutely ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job! I just recently tried gruyere for the first time and liked it very much. I'm sure it made a wonderful flavor in this.

    actually, I've been trying all kinds of new cheeses recently. mmmm cheeeese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny - Bacon makes anything better!

    Katie - Hehe...thanks! Do you think I should type it up so when someone on the board asks for a mac & cheese recipe I have it handy? :P

    Melissa - I'm telling you, cheese is one of my favorite foods. I never liked any kind of Swiss but this particular brand of Gruyere was really amazing.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!