Monday, January 21, 2008

New Spice Rack & Fridge Meme

Awhile back my buddy Katie at A Byootaful Life posted a peek into her fridge meme of sorts. I thought it sounded like a neat idea and I've been meaning to do it ever since. Today seemed like the perfect day because I also wanted to showcase my brand new spice racks:


SP has been meaning to buy me a spice rack for ages, but we could never find one I liked. We scoured the home store yesterday looking for something, but everything we found was too long for the wall I wanted to use. And then there they were - the perfect shelves. These are actually trophy shelves, but who cares. They look great and fit all my spices nicely, with room to add more. Here's how the whole corner looks now:


Our kitchen isn't big so we took the eat-in space and bought a prep table for more counter space. I keep most of my kitchen gadgets in here and do almost all my prep work here. We even installed the spotlights I had over my prep table at the old apartment so I could have more light in that corner. Until this weekend all my spices lined the back wall, but now that they're up on the shelves I have much more surface area. I'm not planning to leave the mixing bowls there, but I haven't found them a home yet. A great big THANK YOU to my darling husband for installing the shelves this weekend!! You are my hero. :)

And now, on to the fridge meme. Here's the outside of the fridge. Whenever I look at a picture of the fridge it looks like a face:


And here it is with all the doors open:


OK....the left side - this has butter, sour cream, cream cheese, various mustards, ketchup, heavy cream, a few open bottles of wine, mayo and jams:


... and the right side - the butter dish, more ketchup (how did that happen?), salad dressings and sauces, pickled jalapenos, banana peppers, pickles, a container of chicken stock and 1/2 and 1/2 for SP's morning coffee:


Here's the body of the fridge. The top shelf on the right is where we keep things like milk, bottled water, OJ and cranberry juice. On the top left are various leftovers (I think I see some pasta and sauce, tomato puree and potato salad) and a jar of mustard. On the next shelf down is more tomato sauce (leftover Bolognese, I think) and some ground beef being defrosted. Then there's the cheese drawer, which has cheddar, Pecorino, mozzarella and a stick of pepperoni in it. The bottom shelf on the left is where I keep the eggs and bacon and on the right we've got SP's beer, more leftovers and a jar of salsa:


This is the crisper drawer on the left. I've got half an onion, some celery, 1/4 of a bag of baby spinach, cilantro and a dried-up sprig of rosemary in here:

... and the crisper drawer on the right has a bag of baby arugula, mushrooms, cauliflower, carrots, scallions, parsley and a red pepper in it:


There you have it! A peek inside the fridge of The Home Cook. Next time I'll give you a tour of the freezer drawer. Right now I've got a ton of freezer bags full of pork chops, ground beef, chicken breasts, tilapia filets, frozen pizza dough, English muffins, a few bags of frozen veggies, some shrimp shells for that shrimp stock I keep meaning to make and a huge drawer of ice courtesy of our ice maker.
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. that's awesome to see your space! you have to make do with the room you have and you've done a lovely job.

    have you seen this site? LOVE IT!

    www.fridgewatcher.com

    it's strangely fascinating to look at other people's...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shelf idea. I might have to steal that. I too have a tiny kitchen.

    I am not brave enough to showcase my fridge without a good clean out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color on your walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa - Thanks! I've never seen that fridge site. I'll have to check it out.

    Day to Day - Go right ahead. They were less than $7 at Lowe's. Here's the link online - http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=63078-46958-0194360&lpage=none

    Dani - Thanks! We love color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like yours. ;P some of the refrigerators I've seen on there, especially from different countries, are so different from mine. fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your fridge is certainly a lot healthier and fuller than mine! ;)

    What is half and half? Is it cream or milk? It's so funny seeing random American things, even though it's completely normal and typical in your eyes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa - I definitely need to check it out. I love seeing what other people eat. I'm always peeking in people's carts at the supermarket. :P

    Katie - 1/2 and 1/2 is milk and cream. People use it in their coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am starting a fun little meme showing the outside of the fridge. Read about it here
    http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/refrigerator-meme/

    I won't be posting my photo yet. I'm giving everyone time to snap the photos. his is an "only if you have a chance, don't feel pressured" meme. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!