Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Steak and Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe

We wanted something simple for dinner tonight and since London broil was on sale at the supermarket we decided to do steak with that excellent marinade we used awhile back and another recipe from that same episode of Lidia's Italy - Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe:


... which is just spaghetti with pecorino cheese and pepper. The steak was fantastic, nice and rare with good flavor from the marinade, but the pasta was the real winner. It couldn't have been simpler - you just cook the pasta until it's al dente and then toss it with some of the cooking water, copious amounts of grated cheese and lots of crushed black pepper - and yet the flavor was outstanding. I could have eaten a half pound all by myself, which is why I only made a half pound in the first place. The desire to have leftovers for lunch always outweighs my gluttonous nature.

And for some added healthiness, salad with romaine, cucumbers, banana peppers and scallions with a light smear of blue cheese dressing:

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. The pasta sounds delicious. I'll have to try that. And the salad looks yummy. I cannot bring myself to eat nearly raw meat though. Don't you worry about whatever sicknesses are carried in raw meat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoJo - I don't eat red meat very often but when I do I like it medium-rare because it just tastes better. Why do I want to spend the money to buy good meat and then cook it to death so it tastes terrible? I like food and eating too much to do that.

    That being said, I do worry about food-borne illnesses, but as evidenced by the recent e. coli scares you can get sick from fresh spinach and green onions, so I don't obsess about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see your point... I grew up on well-done meat, what some might call "burnt." So that's where my taste buds are. For me, if it's too pink, I just don't eat it so I don't even know what it tastes like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. JoJo - I think most people eat meat the way their parents prepared it because that's all they know and like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha eat what their parents like...I'd be like Jojo and well...now I'd eat almost anything raw, chicken being the main exception.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!