Thursday, August 23, 2007

Fettuccine Alfredo with Sausage

Fettuccine Alfredo with Sausage is one of SP's favorite dishes. He made it tonight using hot Italian sausage:


... which was slightly spicy without being overpowering.

While this was very, very tasty, I'm still searching for a creamier fettuccine alfredo. As our friend D told us over dinner last weekend, "saucy" alfredo isn't authentic but I just don't care. I like a thick, creamy sauce with my alfredo; otherwise I feel like I'm eating plain old pasta with butter and cheese. Yes, I know authentic alfredo is just butter and cheese, but if I'm making the caloric commitment I want sauce, damnit!

So the search continues. If anyone out there in blogland has a creamy, saucy fettuccine alfredo recipe please let me know. Thanks!
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. You MUST use 35% cream to get the saucy creaminess. I basically just melt butter in a pan and add cream, S&P, simmer for a while, adding other ingredients you may be using, like sausage or a vegetable (I always toss in some asparagus, or julienned snow peas for texture). when you've reached the desired consistency from a low simmer, add a handful of fresh reggiano, then the pasta. add more cream if it needs to be loosened up.

    I used to use lower-fat cream but it makes for a dry and less rich sauce, so I bite the bullet and eat it less often with the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm practically drooling here! I never make fettucini alfredo, but a local restaurant serves a chicken fettucini alfredo that I get once in a while. It's soooo evil and sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a creamier alfredo, make the original recipe with butter, heavy cream, and reggiano, but before adding the cheese add some sour cream. Not only does this give you the "sauciness" it adds a nice piquant flavor that stands up to some stronger flavors like spinach or sausage.
    BTW I really enjoy your site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips, everyone. I think we need to wait awhile before making such a rich and fattening dish again but I can't wait to try your tips. :)

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!