Sunday, July 01, 2007

Burgers and Spicy Creamed Corn

If it weren't for the Spicy Creamed Corn I wouldn't have even bothered blogging about this meal. I woke up with a headache and was battling it all day, so while I made the corn dish and took a few bites of my burger, I wasn't really in the mood to eat let alone take decent photos.


SP had gotten 5 ears of corn at the market last week that needed to be used, so when I saw this recipe in Rachael Ray's 365: No Repeats cookbook I decided to give it a try. I really, really liked it. The grilled corn added a nice smokiness and the kick from the jalapenos was a welcome change from traditional creamed corn.

Spicy Creamed Corn

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers seeded and finely chopped (I left the seeds in one for more spice)
2 10 ounce boxes frozen corn kernels (I used 5 ears of fresh corn that I cooked on a grill for about 5 minutes until the kernels started to caramelize. I took the kernels off the cobs with a sharp knife)
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Heat a skillet over medium high heat with the olive oil and butter. Add the onions, jalapenos, bell peppers, chopped garlic, corn, salt, and pepper. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the onions are tender. Sprinkle with the flour, and continue to cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and heavy cream - bring the corn up to simmer and cook until it is thick and creamy, about 5 minutes. Finish the corn with parsley and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasoning.


We also had burgers, but like I said I only had a few bites of mine. I took some aspirin and sat outside reading after dinner and my headache seems to have gone away.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely delicious! I love all the colours and textures. Yum yum!

    I thought I would also let you know that I've tagged you for a meme if you're interested! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie - thanks for letting me know! I'll check it out now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I battled the same headache and scratchy eyes yesterday - I spent most of the day napping.

    PS - yes, my text was regarding the question of subsituting rosemary for thyme. It did turn out for the best. Next time I will call, I'm just one of those texting types! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you feel better soon!
    That creamed corn looks killer. I'll have to try it. Glad you're back from your conference. I was going through new food blog entry withdrawal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica - I'm so glad to see you're still reading my blog. :) I feel like it's been ages and ages since we last talked! You should definitely try the creamed corn. It was pretty spicy from the jalapeno but really tasty.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!