Monday, June 11, 2007

SP Takes Over the Kitchen

Today began SP's return to the kitchen, although it wasn't a perfectly smooth transition. When I got home I found him standing by the fridge looking forlorn. I asked him what was the matter and he thrust a package of still-frozen pork chops towards me. They were supposed to have been our dinner tonight, but ever resourceful SP went to the pantry, found some jars of tomatoes my mother and I canned last year and a box of angel hair and went to work while I sat on the couch watching Rachael Ray.


We also had a half-eaten container of ricotta cheese in the fridge that I hated to see go to waste so I spooned some of that onto my pasta. It's funny, during the day today I was thinking about how good a plate of pasta with meatballs sounded and then we ended up having pasta and sauce for dinner. I have to say, as much as I love cooking (even when I'm stressed out) it was nice to sit on the couch while someone else cooked. SP even did the dishes, too.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you on the sitting on the couch while someone else cooks!!! Looks great. Do you still have any tomatoes left? We need to plan our canning adventure for this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww isn't that nice when someone else cooks for you! I can't believe he did the dishes too, you're so lucky!

    The dinner looks really nice - how do you can tomatoes? Do you have to chop them up and put them in or is it harder than that? I'd love to see if I could give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alotta - We probably have about 5 jars left. We always ration them out so we don't run out. SP asked if we were planning to can this year and I said absolutely.

    Katie - It's a pretty involved process that is very labor intensive but SO worth it in the end. If you do a search for canning you should be able to find a lot of information. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you know, I love me some angel hair. How did SP make the sauce on top, did he saute the tomatoes with some garlic and olive oil?

    ReplyDelete
  5. C Laz - I'm pretty sure he just chopped up a whole mess of garlic and cooked that in some oil before adding the tomatoes (which he pureed slightly). Because he used jarred tomatoes that my mom and I canned the sauce was very watery and didn't cling to the pasta, despite excessive boiling.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!