Sunday, December 10, 2006

Spaghetti and Meatballs

Sunday is usually my prep day, but this week's menu didn't involve much prep work. I did, however, cook a proper Sunday dinner tonight - Spaghetti and Meatballs.


I used Lidia's recipe for meatballs, which includes ground beef, pork and veal, breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic, Parmesan cheese and an egg all mixed together. I fried the meatballs after dredging them in flour and then finished cooking them in the sauce. I cooked the sauce for about 4 hours, using two cans of whole tomatoes that I pureed, garlic, minced onion, bay leaves, salt, pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Right before I added the meatballs I put in a can of chicken stock because the sauce was already nice and thick.

I also made garlic bread with cheese using ciabatta bread my mom brought over when we moved. A salad completed the meal, which was very satisfying both to eat and to make. While I was cooking SP was assembling my new prep table, so the kitchen is well on its way to being workable.
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Excellent menu! The mix on the meatballs has me drooling!

    I really need to not read your site well before mealtime. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear I'm making you hungry. Consider it payback for all the drooling you cause me when I read your reviews before lunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. your spaghetti and meatballs looked so delicious I had to make spaghetti for dinner tonight. We're about to sit down to eat a big bowl of it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your spaghetti and meatballs looked so delicious I had to make spaghetti for dinner tonight. We're about to sit down to eat a big bowl of it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your spaghetti and meatballs looked so delicious I had to make spaghetti for dinner tonight. We're about to sit down to eat a big bowl of it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome. I think this was the best batch of sauce and meatballs I ever made. And the best part is we had enough meatballs left over for a meatball sandwich.

    Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore meatballs, and those look really good. I love a thick sauce too. Cheese ciabatta garlic bread sounds brilliant too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you guys ever make those turkey meatballs I made awhile back? I was thinking about making them last night as I was falling asleep. The ciabatta made for great garlic cheese bread because it's nice and crusty on the outside.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!