Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Cream of Mushroom Casserole

I saw Rachael Ray make this Cream of Mushroom Casserole on 30-Minute Meals last week and thought I'd give it a try since SP loves mushrooms.

Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of Swiss cheese but the dish:


... did absolutely nothing for me. There just wasn't much flavor, either from the mushrooms, the shallot, the wine...even the cheese was pretty bland. It's a shame, too, since I've got almost a whole 9 x 13-inch baking dish full of this stuff. SP will be home in about an hour and if he hasn't eaten I'll serve him some. Since he likes Swiss maybe it'll go over better with him.

UPDATE: SP loved the casserole. I kind of figured he would, considering it contains mushrooms and Swiss cheese, two things he loves almost as much as me. :)
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, it's definitely a shame when this happens. I'm not big on Swiss cheese, either. But this has happened to me more than once -- tasty sounding recipe, good ingredients, then it just tastes like blah. Jay often rescues these underwhelming dishes by cooking up something else, say some boneless chicken thighs in garlic and oil, and adds them to the initial recipe along with some more seasoning or a different side dish. It will change it up a little.... dipping sauces help, too. Like maybe a honey mustard chicken breast with the noodles as a side dish would be more satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don't know if SP liked it or not since I went to bed before he ate any. I knew I should have cut the recipe in half...I usually do that when I don't know whether we'll like the dish or not.

    Mmmm...dipping sauces. The mere mention of honey mustard makes me want to cook chicken fingers and fries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck, you could always have a mushroom casserole omelet with sausage. Jay always does that with Indian leftovers. The results, more often than not, are pleasantly surprising. But I'd enjoy most anything wrapped up in a burrito.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SP loves mushroom and Swiss omelets. He once had one down the shore that had roasted garlic in it and it was amazing...and I don't even like Swiss cheese.

    I really wish you lived closer to me so I could come over for Indian food. You guys are always making it and I never think to do that for dinner.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!