Saturday, August 12, 2006

A Hearty Breakfast



A lazy Saturday morning is a rarity for us. Errands and other weekend goings-on usually take up most of the day. So when I realized we had nowhere to be until 6 p.m., I decided to make breakfast. And I'm not talking cereal.

First I peeled four small potatoes and cut them into cubes. Then I cut half a green pepper and half a small onion into similar-sized cubes and put everything into a non-stick pan with some vegetable oil. Once the potatoes, peppers and onion started getting some nice brown color, I covered the pan to let the steam finish cooking the potatoes.

Meanwhile, I took four slices of bacon and put it on the baking sheet that came with our toaster oven. The sheet was covered with a double layer of foil to make cleanup easier. Ever since I saw Ina Garten make bacon in the oven, it's the only way I'll cook it. In a skillet, the bacon doesn't cook evenly. But in an oven, with the heat coming from all sides instead of just the bottom, the bacon cooks perfectly every time. And since the toaster oven tray holds four pieces, it's perfect for 2 servings. I set the toaster to 350 degrees and let the oven do the work.

I also diced some grape tomatoes from my parent's box o'veggies and mixed them in a bowl with some salt and pepper.

For the eggs, I decided to mix in some leftovers from the fridge. We had some deli ham, so I diced that along with a small hunk of cheddar and mixed it with the leftover egg yolk from last night, plus 5 other eggs. That turned out to be a lot of eggs, but lucky for me SP is a hungry man. I cooked the eggs in a non-stick skillet over low heat so they remained creamy.

With a glass of OJ, we had ourselves a mighty fine breakfast.

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! We have the same placemats!!

    I am going to have to develop that problem with bananas so I can make those muffins - LOL! I eat like 2 bananas a day and they never have a chance to go bad. :(

    How did they turn out btw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! LOL! I had to go back to your breakfast sandwich post to check and lo and behold, we DO have the same placemats! How funny is that?

    Ya know, I still have no idea how they came out. I couldn't even finish my hearty breakfast, so I'm just not hungry for a muffin. I'll probably have one tomorrow before church, just to make sure they taste OK since I'm planning to serve them for dessert tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!